9 Web Trends You Need to Know in 2020

Nothing is more frustrating to an online customer than not being able to complete his or her goals on a company’s website – everything from accessing information quickly to completing a sale with ease.

Websites are continuously evolving to provide a better user experience (UX). Despite so many top brands providing a sub-par user experience, Web users have high expectations for how a website should look and act. If an enterprise isn’t focused on welcoming each and every visitor with a topnotch experience, it is doomed to fail. 

Luckily, the web team at ColinKurtis, a food and beverage advertising agency, put together nine 2020 web trends to keep current and potential customers on the site longer, converting more and coming back more often. 

  1. Progressive Web Apps (PWA)
    Progressive Web Apps are still a toddler, but they have a lot of growth potential and challenges ahead of them. Brands have been asking users to download and install app after app, and PWAs solve that issue — there’s no need to install an app (YAY!). Other benefits include no need for fast data connection, easy to roll out web updates and improve design experiences and create the look and feel of a native app.
  2. Mobile First
    Google announced in 2016 that it is moving towards mobile-first indexing. It’s important to ensure websites are mobile-friendly, and that Google and other search engines will serve the mobile option to customers on-the-go, as more consumers are using mobile devices more than ever to consume information. According to Search Engine Journal, Google says 70% of sites are mobile-first and the other 30% will be completed by September.
  3. Static Sites
    Static sites, rendered files that don’t use databases or traditional web servers to be shown to users, so they are faster and don’t have security issues, are not new, but they’re going to have a big year as they become easier for developers and content managers to use. Netlify, a static host and automation platform, will sign up its millionth developer account in 2020.
  4. Do More with Less Data
    Doing more with fewer data. Multiple browsers, including Safari, Firefox and Chrome, are launching major user privacy initiatives this year that will automatically hide more data from web analytics. In 2020, it’s even more important to supplement analytics data by engaging with your audience.
  5. Slow Site Labeling
    Slow site labeling. Google Chrome is expected to start labeling slow websites with a “Loading…” interstitial, and more explicit warnings are likely in the future. Chrome’s focus on page performance will increase user expectations of your website, and lead to increased visitor bounce rates on sites that don’t adapt to the new status quo.
  6. Landing Pages that Convert
    Every business needs their website to convert traffic into leads. Make it simple with a clear and clean landing page with one call to action (CTA). One CTA improves the user experience, making it easier for potential customers to take the right journey improving your site’s conversion rates. Digital ads and email blasts should point to landing pages with direct, relevant copy and a short form—you don’t need every bit of information at first, just the essentials: name, email and phone number.
  7. Video
    We love video. Video is a trend across marketing, from popular social media platforms, like TikTok and Snapchat focusing on short-form videos. While Facebook implemented stories in 2017, Facebook Watch, long-form video, is a newer focus for the social media giant. Now, websites are looking to engage users with video, using motion in place of static image backgrounds; however, this strategy might not be for every website.
  8. Neuromorphic Design
    Neumorphism (new + Skeuomorphism) is a user interface (UI) trend that is new and starting to grow. It’s a reaction to flat design that uses low contrast shadows to help users easily understand what you’re showing them without looking outdated.. Giant brands, like Apple, are looking at adopting this fresh style in 2020.
  9. Typography
    “Typography is the new black”, according to awwwards. Serifs, a small line or stroke regularly attached to the end of a larger stroke in a letter or symbol within a particular font or family of fonts, are back, so expect to see a lot of Garamond or other favorite serif fonts. Web designers will be incorporating illustrations with photos, including pictograms, icons and emojis — after all, we want a fun, interactive user experience!

ColinKurtis knows food, let us help your food and beverage brand with web development, web programming, website design, user experience and user interface design. Let’s talk!

 

By | 2020-04-15T17:27:54+00:00 April 9th, 2020|Creative|0 Comments

About the Author:

Leave A Comment

fifteen + 4 =